Friday, September 05, 2008

Du Bois Debut

While I've blogged tons and tons about Du Bois both here at baldblogger and at Religion and American History, my "official" Du Bois debut comes in November at the Urban History Association national meeting in Houston. This is my first face-to-face scholarly presentation on Du Bois.

I'll be presenting some of my research on Du Bois and religion. Here's my panel for Saturday morning November 8:

African American Editors, Urban Migration and Civil Rights During the 1920s and 1930s
Chair: Mary Lamonica, New Mexico State

Jinx Broussard, Louisiana State University, "Giving a Voice to the Voiceless: The Journalism of Alice Dunbar Nelson"

Jane Marcellus, Middle Tennessee State, "Representation of Employed Black Women in the National Urban League's Opportunity During the 1920s and 1930s"

Mary M. Cronin, New Mexico State University, "C. F. Richardson and the Houston Informer's Fight for Racial Equality during the 1920s"

Phillip Luke Sinitiere, University of Houston, "Sermons in the City, Parables of a Prophet: W.E.B. Du Bois, Religion, and The Crisis, 1910-1934"

Moderator: Breea Willingham, St. Bonaventure University

You can read the full conference program here. I'm glad to see that the history department at UH is well represented (and UH historian Marty Melosi is the president of the UHA), my co-editor Darren Grem from Religion and American History is presenting, and a host of other friends and colleagues will be there as well.

7 comments:

Luke Harlow said...

Looks like a great panel. And I'm looking forward to hanging out with you, Darren, and co.

Phil said...

Hey Luke, good to hear from you. Hope the research excursion was a good one. Likewise, look forward to hanging out again.

John Fea said...

Phil: I hope the paper goes well. I am sure it will.

Phil said...

Thanks, John. I'm looking forward to it. I'm the lone historian on the panel, so I'm hoping to get some great feedback.

Jim Brown said...

This sounds great Phil. I'll be there!

DEG said...

Thanks for the shout-out. Looking forward to hanging out and hearing your paper.

Phil said...

Likewise, deg. See you soon!