Monday, October 20, 2008

Fall Books on Fall Break

I’m on a fall break from teaching right now (although the 6-day hiatus from school for Hurricane Ike was really my fall break), so figured I’d highlight some books out this fall/winter that I've read, am reading, or will read.

First, some of the latest Du Bois: I'm really looking forward to The Souls of W.E.B. Du Bois: New Essays and Reflections, due out in January with Mercer University Press. Ed Blum and Jason Young edit what I think will be a stellar collection of essays.

Also, literary scholar and college administrator Brian Johnson just published W.E.B. Du Bois: Toward Agnosticism, 1868-1934 with Rowman & Littlefield. Johnson's great Du Bois reader, Du Bois on Reform, has been helpful in my research, and of course I'm looking forward to reading about Du Bois the agnostic in light of already reading about Du Bois as an American prophet. You can bet there will be some future blog posts on these books.

I read Cornel West's new book over the weekend, Hope on a Tightrope. It is a book for the everyday, ordinary reader and showcases West’s prophetic reflections about social justice and Christian ethics. It is a good read, with glossy, slick photos of West throughout the years. The book is apparently published with one of Tavis Smiley’s companies, and has a companion CD with Smiley interviewing West and selections from some of West’s spoken word projects.

There is nothing really new in the book, and I think this will give West’s critics more ammunition that he doesn’t write weighty academic tomes (or at least hasn’t in a while). That said, I think it is commendable that he writes and speaks as a public intellectual, and his voice is surely one of the gadflies of our age. Hope on a Tightrope is the perennial and prophetic West at his lyrical best. I understand now that West is working on his memoir, which I can’t wait to read.

I saw an ad for the book From Student to Scholar: A Candid Guide to Becoming a Professor. Looks really interesting, and there are several such books like this one, such as Life On the Tenure Track and many from the University of Chicago Press. I’ve not read From Student to Scholar yet, but here’s an interview with the book’s author Steve Cahn.

The final book I’d like to mention is Barbara Dianne Savage’s Your Spirits Walk Beside Us: The Politics of Black Religion, just out with Harvard University Press. I’ve been waiting for this book for a while, having read Savage’s earlier article on Du Bois, democracy, and religion. Paul Harvey compares Savage’s book to Curtis Evans’s The Burden of Black Religion, so I can't wait to read each side by side. Also, Curtis has agreed to a blog interview about his book, so look for that in the future.

What new books are you reading, or do you suggest to put on the reading list?

UPDATE: I forgot to mention another book I'm reading--Gerardo Marti's Hollywood Faith: Holiness, Prosperity and Ambition at a Hollywood Church. This is a good book. Marti's ideas are clear and profound, ethnography thick and descriptive, and writing accessible. From sermons, to church architecuture, to the fabric of everyday belief and ordinary faith, Marti gives readers and up-close-and-personal look at one Hollywood church. The book has a great cover, too.

36 comments:

Nathan Barber said...

Thanks for the list of books. I'm always looking for something new and interesting to read. You mention a few I plan to check out.

I have two good books I'd like to mention, though neither are new. The first is OUT OF OUR MINDS by Ken Robinson. Robinson talks about creativity, why its important and how to foster it. Good read. The second, which I'm currently reading, is INTELLIGENCE REFRAMED by Howard Gardner. Gardner's take on multiple intelligences provides some fascinating insights into man and his mind. Both are great reads for educators.

Len Hjalmarson said...

Phil, I finished Cavanaugh, "Being Consumed" a month or so back, then "Subverting Global Myths" by Vinoth Ramachandra. Both outstanding. Now nearly halfway into into Newbigin, The Open Secret. Chapter 5 and 6 are excellent, and I have a feeling he is gathering steam.

Writing Help said...

Term paper writing as well as essay writing is complicated academic process which requires good writing skills and abilities from students.

Sonya Apple said...

Thanks for the great list. I could always use another distraction. Or ten.
Writings-centre.com

Pacific said...

Thanks a lot! professional writers and editors

Kat said...

Term paper writing is rather complicated. Though, addressing a reliable company, students will receive perfect papers

Luca Matrill said...

This is very nice one and gives indepth information.by the way,yesterday the team of Professional written for me excellent article essay-online-shop.com

Inessa Small said...

A lot of students cannot deal with their academic tasks without professional assistance. Fortunately, using this site http://super-essays-service.com, it is much easier to earn high grades!

Inessa Small said...

The article is great! Thanks for interesting and valuable information. You may find some similar content at http://super-essays-service.com

jenny Rocks said...

Thanks for the list of books. I'm always looking for something new and interesting to read. You mention a few I plan to check out.
If you are a student and are interested in getting good grades, you have to work hard…but you can also use http://www.custom-paper-writing.org I’m an essay writer, so if you need my help, do not hesitate to contact me at custom-paper-writing.org I’ll be glad to help you)

Marilyn Black said...

Essay writing is not a guileless task as some put it. It always gives some people, time perdition. There are numerous solutions that have been put across by the custom term papers

Terese Austin said...

Well, this post contains a lot of useful information. If you can't write a high quality essay by yourself, you can visit http://marvelous-essay.net!

Luca Matrill said...

Thanks for providing the information with this post. Post is very nice! By the way, I want to share with you information about the best essay writing service

BobRobin said...

Majority of students feel nervous and lose confidence when they are asked for writing some essays and presenting before others. If you are one of them then kick away this condition by getting the best custom essay writing service ever for preparing your papers without mistakes and within your cost.

BobRobin said...

University studying process requires perfect writing skills, however, college students, which don't have time can fail their academic success. Thence, to order the term paper titles from the custom research paper writing service should be a great solution.

Egle Fisher said...

i can imagine how it is easy for you to get your head together.I cannot do that and trust my Custom essays to this guys. Definetely worth checking...

Amira Taylor said...

Thanks for sharing! It was interesting to read. I also welcome you to write my essay. Qualified team can help you find good process analysis essay topics.

Egle Fisher said...

when your thoughts are not busy with writing an essay.Leave it to this guys!They have a team of professionals who can do it on time and the most important for low price best-essays-writers.org

jenny Rocks said...


Do you want to get resume writing service, that conform the range of research you prefer?. You can rely on our resume writers , as you rely on yourself. Thanks because this is the useful knowledge

Abby Smith said...

Writing an essay is not easy, especially if you don't have good writing skills. That's why many students are looking for efficient and professional writing help online from essay and research paper writers

Nina Simone said...


Cool article=)
And if you are a student and tired of writing essays - find your persoonal
Essay Writer


Amy Pearson said...

Excellent job! Order high quality essays here http://marvelous-essay.net!

PatriciaMoncrief said...

Thanks fro sharing this great article and you have given many useful informations. The best essays can support you to write your future writing works.

TomKorn said...

Thank you for your good tips! I will try it, I promise) By the way I want to tall you the best information for all student ! It is paper writing services save your home task for all topic and you will take a goos mark! You must try my advice! It is the best help for you! Very fast, professionals and cheap)

Sara Morten said...

Hmmm, very cool advices! I like such things) Also, I want to recommend the best help in education! Belive, my advice is more better for you! It is the besy team of professionals save your time and write for youthe best work! I think you will be very happy) http://buy-custom-writings.com

Sara Morten said...

Thank you for your advices! It is very cool post and good information! I think you must know about the best way in education! It is http://custom-writing.net the best link and the best writing professional services! If you need a help in such tasks you have a real friend! You wiil be happy to have such team)

kitty23 said...

Good stuff, you write very well! Writing essays is a difficult task, and if you want to be the best student in writing, I can advice www.essay-mania.com. They better do their job!

Rachel Ackles said...

Well written post! Thank you! my writing tasks in college are always well writen too since I found this site fresh-essay.com and I'm sure it will help you too.

Meggy Stewart said...

I've just been looking for some interesting books to read on weekend. Thanks alot yu presented this booklist to us) I'll necessarily look through those books) Will you be posting further interesting booklists? Please write, your writing inspires! But if you're oout of inspiration you may borrow it in the writers on papers-writings.com

Loren Hill said...

I would like to advice for you the best service for students and for those who looking for good essay. Just visit top essay writing.

Joy Morgan said...

Hi,thanks for this post. It is very interesting to read. By the way,If you are looking for help with your writing assignments,then go to http://www.essays-shark.net and you`ll get first-class services at acceptable price or ask for some useful tips from experienced writers or editors

Tasha Reid said...

In order to cope with all tasks that students have, admit, there is not much time...and there is no other way out then to use the help of real professionals.I use it regularly and everytime i was provided with high quality written essay. www.advanced-writer.com click here to read more.

Nathan Bruster said...

While writing an essay the things may turn more complicated than you thought it would be, that`s why I recommend you this http://essays-shark.net writing service, where I`m ordering my papers and I`m satisfied with their work.

Joselin Smitt said...

Fantastic site!!If you want order essay, you can visit site http://essay-professors.com where you can order for yourself any essay or article on any theme

Karoline Page said...

Thanks for sharing so nice article. I think these resources will be extremely important for everyone who is writing their academic papers. Actually, I know one more perfect source thanks to which you will have high grades at passing your custom papers www.academic-writings.com.

Brenda Thomson said...

Very interesting and impressive list. These books are especially helpful for students, who write academic papers. In addition, this is another helpful quality writing services http://www.grand-essays.com/ where you can find any kind of papers. Also you can contact the writer and discuss any requirements of the task.