Thursday, June 02, 2005

Conferences

Today I received word that my paper, "Global Pedagogy: Locating World Christianity in the Classroom," was accepted for presentation in November at the Pruit Memorial Symposium at Baylor University entitled "Global Christianity: Challenging Modernity and the West."

In the paper I discuss a class I taught, "The Future of Christianity," during the 2003-04 at Second Baptist School. This class explored the reasons for and dynamics of the explosive growth of Christianity throughout Africa, Asia, and Latin America. The second half of this essay assesses the state of what one might call world Christianity historiography, the importance of bringing this to the classroom, and how the topic of world Christianity fits into a "religion in world history" framework.

I'm also putting the finishing touches on another teaching essay of mine, "Africa in World History and World History in Africa: Sudanese Dimensions in the Classroom," scheduled for presentation on June 28 at the annual World History Association conference, to be held this year at Al Akhawayn University in Ifrance, Morocco. I plan to blog daily while there. Stay tuned.

This essay describes some curriculum I created in the fall of 2004 at Second Baptist School that surrounded the expereinces of the "Lost Boys" of Sudan. The latter portions of this paper suggest several ways that teaching Sudan fits within a world history framework.

1 comment:

D said...

You don't sound busy enough.  Stop lazing around.  Get to work.

Seriously, thinking about your life makes me want to take a nap.  Glad to see you in the blogosphere.  But, yes, I'll keep it on the QT.